Saturday, September 27, 2008

Grateful for a Job

There are things I hate about military life, like deployment, but given the economic uncertainty in our country, I am very grateful my spouse has a job.  We have good health insurance, dental, vision, a good home to live in, and the knowledge we have job security.  Flexibility is key to surviving as a military spouse, you have to know plans can always change (my spouse almost got called home early from our honeymoon to deploy 4 weeks early) and there really is no such thing as a sure thing when you are talking about orders, but today, I am very grateful getting laid off isn't something I have to have a contingency plan for.  I am also grateful that military retirement is still a really good deal.  Don't get me wrong, twenty-years is a big chunk of your life, but it also has some good perks at the end.  So for today, I am just thankful.

5 comments:

Kritta22 said...

I agree! A permanent job was one of the main reasons were joined the Air Force. We won't, for the next 17 years, have to worry about housing, medical, dental, or just having a job. With the stock market looking so bad and the housing market looing just as bad, I find comfort in knowing that we will be okay. Now I just have to work on food storage and 72 hour kits and we'll be good! :)

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

I am your lady when it comes to 72 hour kits and food storage Kritta! the thing I love about the military are the amazing, non-stop, in your face missionary opportunities. I can't get enough of it. military families are separated from their families, and are searching for the peace that we have.....that I want to share! I love it! I know Heavenly Father is stacking the military full of strong LDS families for that purpose! :) Watch Don't let your heart be troubled, the video from the first presidency about the soldiers and the military. It makes you proud to be in the military. I cry every time I watch it. compares our soldiers to captain moroni! absolutely a must watch!

Elise Maygren said...

Hi I found your site from searching for lds active military. I want to comment and I was laid off due to the economy 5 weeks ago, and have now enlisted in the army. I have a question about endowed members at boot camp and AIT / job training. please e-mail me at brycemaygren@hotmail.com I am being shipped out to South Carolina Jan 20th. Thank you, now lets go serve.
sincerly
Bryce Maygren

Unknown said...

Unfortunately I felt the same way until the Air Force decided to cut 65% of my darling AD's graduation class in his field. So now we are out and though we got a bonus it isn't anything compared to the 20 years we would have gotten so don't count all your eggs yet.

Abby Pett said...

I was searching for a blog to help me get a better idea of what I should expect, or appreciate if my Fiance were to do the navy. Thank you for this, it just gives me more pros and less cons.