Monday, February 23, 2009

Bedtime Stories

If you are facing a deployment or other extended period apart from your spouse, bedtime stories are a great way to keep the family close.  Have the deploying spouse begin reading some of your family's favorite stories to the video camera.  Continue this practice up until the spouse leaves.  Then you will have a whole video to play for your kids at bedtime.  This can be an important link between the deploying parent and kids, even when the children are too small to even remember the deployment.  Send a video camera, laptop with webcam, or camera that can take video with your spouse so they will be able to make videos while they are away.  It makes a huge difference for the kids (and you) if you can see where they are working and living and some of the things they do during the day. 

Videos should also be a two way street.  Video tape FHE, and other events for your spouse.  If you children are old enough to read, have them read or write stories and then record them reading them.  Birthdays and holidays are a good events to try to include your spouse via video.

No matter how you slice it, deployment is a rough time for everyone.  I know for me, being honest with my spouse about what I needed, snail mail letters in addition to regular emails, and pictures, really helped me to get through it.  

3 comments:

The Fisher's said...

The videos are a great idea! Even just for granparents that may be a long ways off :) Thanks!

Shayla said...

What a wonderful idea!
My husband has met with a recruiter & is planning on joining the army. We have two little boys, 3 years & 20 months old. I have so many questions and concerns but don't really know where to go for the answers or support. We want to stay a close family in the gospel but I am afraid for the new challenges we may face. Is there anywhere else someone could recommend me going for some answers?
~Shayla
charlieandshay at hotmail dot com
Idaho

Dawn Davis said...

I taped my husband reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". Our son is 7 months old and anytime he's having a rough day or seems a little sad I'll sit in front of the computer with him and play daddy reading the book. He perks right up, gets a huge smile on his face and watches quietly and excitedly as my husband reads. It is the cutest thing. Every once in a while I'll watch it all by myself, just so I can see him and hear him in between phone calls and Skype.